Understand Divorce Laws In Alaska...

...And What The Law Says About Your Case

Alaska is what is called an equitable distribution state. This means the court will start with the presumption of a 50-50 split. From there, the courts will look at a variety of factors, including employment, sacrifices made during marriage and level of education.

As you approach your divorce, it is important to inform yourself of your rights and options if you are faced with these or other divorce issues.

Property Division — Spousal Support — Child Custody And Support

The court will try to solve disparities in financial situations by dividing property in the most equitable way. Ultimately, the goal is to leave the couple on an equal playing field. If spouses have similar incomes, education levels and so on, then the distribution is likely to be close to 50-50.

The courts will generally only stipulate alimony/spousal support when there is a very substantial discrepancy in earning potential among spouses. Its duration depends on various factors and may be awarded as interim, reorientation, rehabilitation or long-term support.

When a divorcing couple shares minor children, a child custody order will be part of a divorce. In the case of child support, the Alaska child support guidelines are fairly rigid and straightforward and based on a specific calculation based on the parents' adjusted income. Factors such as a child's special needs may influence a judge in favor of deviating from the child support guidelines.

An Established Family Law Firm Serving Anchorage

We, at Aglietti, Offret & Woofter, are prepared to bring more than 35 years of experience to help you reach an ideal resolution to any family law issue. Our lawyers will partner directly with you to understand your goals and unique situation and will begin taking action to help you and your loved ones transition in a way that preserves your emotional and financial well-being.

To schedule an initial consultation with one of our Anchorage divorce attorneys, call 907-519-6605 or email the firm.